The 877-WHY-ISLAM project was launched in 1999 by volunteers associated with Islamic Circle of North America (I.C.N.A.). It derives inspiration from the following Quranic verse:
“Invite all to the way of thy Lord, With wisdom and beautiful preaching, And argue with them, In ways that are best and most gracious” (16:125).
The project’s foremost aim is to provide accurate information about Islam, the fastest growing religion in the world which is practiced by over 1.6 billion people across the globe. In doing so, it hopes to dispel popular stereotypes and persistent misconceptions about Islam and Muslims.
The following are some of the activities the Why Islam project engages in:
- Billboards: Why Islam places billboards on highways across the country, inviting people to call the hotline and visit the website in order to have questions answered and learn about Islam directly from a reliable, authentic source. InshaAllah, through out the year, ICNA Atlanta will be hosting bill board at key highways of Atlanta.
- Booths: Why Islam’s informational booths are located at malls, street fairs, and book fairs nationwide. They offer free literature, including brochures, copies of Quran, books on the basics of Islam, as well as the opportunity to interface directly with Muslims who are willing to answer any question. InshaAllah ICNA Atlanta will have booth at Gwinnet County Fair, Cumming State Fair and AJC Decatur Book Festival.
- Street Dawah: Street Dawah involves calling/educate people to Islam in a spontaneous manner. Usually, it involves walking up to people on the street to engage them in conversation. Through out the year, we have street dawah at different location.
- Hotline: The 877-WHY-ISLAM hotline is accessible 24/7. Professional and courteous attendants answer questions by curious and, sometimes, enraged callers.
- Website: www.whyislam.org carries a wealth of articles and videos covering a vast array of subject matter, from the basics of Islam to the historical legacy of Muslims, from all sorts of social issues to interfaith material covering Islam, Judaism and Christianity, and much more. One may order free literature through the website, start a one-on-one email correspondence, join the interactive forum, sign up for a mosque visit, etc.
- Brochures: Why Islam has published a variety of brochures on topics ranging from Concept of God in Islam to Women in Islam, from Sanctity of Life to Life After Death, from Worship in Islam to Human Rights in Islam, among others. In addition to English, brochures are available in Spanish and Chinese as well.
- Ads/Videos: Why Islam ads can be heard on the radio or seen on television in several markets. Why Islam videos can be accessed via the website as well as www.youtube.com/whyislam
Why Islam is an authoritative source on Islam, complete with authentic and accurate material. Whether you have no previous knowledge of Islam or are already familiar with it, we invite you to explore this site with an open mind and view the wide selection of articles, videos, and brochures on display. In addition, we urge you to ask questions through the many opportunities we present to establish contact with our associates.
In the process, we hope to create more informed perspectives and productive discourses around Islam and Muslims!
3650 Savannah Place Dr,
Duluth, GA 30096
3650 Savannah Place Dr, Duluth, GA 30096